As technology advances, we are experiencing more devices reaching us by day. A board-to-board connector is an electrical gadget that’s designed to provide signal connections. The connector’s applications are wide and involve the transmission of current and also data within the PCB boards in a gadget. A board-to-board connector can be applied in harsh environments to meet a variety of modular either by integrating or personalizing the interconnections requirements.
Some of the merits you will easily identify with a board-to-board connector arise due to its never-ending mechanical and electrical properties. These characteristics include having a compact structure, good shock resistance, and the ability to transmit high data. These are a number of properties that make a board-to-board connection to receive much value in the market. To understand more about these connectors, we will get in-depth into their features, advantages, and applications.
Features of Board-To-Board Connector
Board-to-board connectors comprise features that make them function efficiently for their intended purpose. These features help to differentiate this type of connector from the others.
- Certifications- Every manufacturer designing board-to-board connectors considers the Underwriters’ Laboratory requirements for certification.
- Connection features- Locking BTB connectors are locked to prevent unauthorized disconnections. Twist and seat contact techniques are applied for quick-connect connectors.
- BTB connectors are sealed with a chemical, water, and oil-resistant material, commonly PVC.
- Manufacturers install filters into BTB connectors to reduce radio frequency and electromagnetic interferences.
Board To Board Connector Types
The connector comes with a unique design responsible for reliable connections within a printed circuit board. This allows an easy replacement and upgrading of printed circuit boards. Board-to-board connector also exists in a wide range of configurations and works through connecting the male pins to the female sockets. Now, we will look at the board-to-board connector types;
Fine pitch connectors
- Fine pitch connects are suitable for all-electric applications that feature an extremely limited space.
- Fine pitch BTB connectors also feature narrow bodies, that allow for easy assemblies and mating, while providing low mating heights.
- This board-to-board connector provides the PC boards with a reliable surface mount element that helps in ensuring there is a reliable connection.
- Using the SMT BTB connectors, you don’t have to drill, as these are among the requirements BTB connectors eliminate.
- These connectors also make it possible for reflow soldering when it comes to surface mount components.
Right angle connectors
- The connectors are efficient in right-angle connections.
- This means the connections of horizontal and vertical PCBs are quite simple, even without altering their orientations.
- These are board-to-board connectors with springs allowing secure connections.
- This happens even with changes in a board to board spacing.
- A spring-loaded BTB connector is efficient for applications such as portable equipment enduring continuous or constant vibrations and motion.
Choosing the right Board-to-Board Connector
A board-to-board connector’s designer concern is how a device will receive signals and power without interference. Other factors include size, portability, and wearability. This answers why there is a variety of BTB connectors in the market. Some factors to consider when choosing a BTB connector include;
- Robustness- A BTB connector should be rugged and strong. This ensures that it endures operation rigors during medical and industrial uses that might involve high vibrations.
- Flexibility- This applies greatly in building, industrial, and medical equipment applications. Flexibility is needed regarding how a BTB connector orients the PCBs in its enclosure.
- Processing ability- A BTB connector is needed to allow automatic optical or any other inspection.
Benefits of Board-To-Board Connectors
Every customer wants to be guaranteed a board-to-board connector got will serve their designated purpose. However, it is essential to get the UL-certified BTB connector which comes with the following benefits;
- The connector is reliable and safe- Board to board connector has a symmetrical design making electrical and mechanical connections possible and easy.
- The installation process is simple- The manufacturers design the BTB connectors to meet the SMT process requirements. This helps to efficiently save time and cost to be spent during the assembly process.
- High adaptability- BTB connectors comprise various stacking heights. Also, they have varying connection techniques that ensure high flexibility.
- Different sizes- Board-to-board connectors come in different sizes, but the common ones are small in size.
Applications of Board To Board Connectors
Board to board connector has various purposes as they are used in;
- Medical devices
- Building automation
- Process automation
- Industrial automation
Board-to-board connector has significant applications we can’t ignore. This gives a reason for selecting the best quality by checking whether the connector meets the UL certification requirements. The connectors’ features make them unique for their applications in industrial, medical, and building fields. To understand more about the board-to-board connectors, consider reaching us, and we will provide the necessary info and assistance you might need. Serving you is our number one priority.