The cable manufacturing industry has had to adjust to the changes in the modern environment. In every industry, high-quality cables are required to connect appliances and various industrial purposes. Such cables and wires are applied in various applications to ensure successful operations under different conditions. Due to different PVC and silicone wire applications, one can determine the most suitable one owing to the fact that each has varying advantages. This piece will therefore take you through the approach of identifying the difference between silicone wire and PVC wire including the benefits that both wires hold over each other.
What Is A PVC Wire
PVC wires are a popular wire type used in electrical works. PVC is an abbreviation of Polyvinyl Chloride. PVC can soften by heating (thermoplastic) and manufactured by a procedure referred to as polymerization. PVC wires are renowned for their longevity and durable performance. PVC’s heat resistance ranges between -40 to 1050C. They can serve you for 25-30 years at a low cost. Additionally, the wires are highly resistant to static electricity and foreign materials. The insulations are characterized by hard nature, thus reducing cable flexibility and maneuverability. However, it is vital to note that PVC wires are less flexible.
Common PVC wire Benefits
- PVC is readily available at a low cost and in various colors.
- PVC is resilient and provides longevity (25-30 years)
- PVC is resistant to weathering, chemicals, abrasion, corrosion, and impact.
- PVC is proven to be static electricity proof.
Industries have used silicone wires for their operating temperature range, voltage characteristics, and high flexibility. Silicon wire can come as a single or multi-core wire excellent for even harsh temperature conditions. There are various silicone wires ranging from 6-10 AWG, 12-16 AWG, 18-22 AWG, and 24-30 AWG in different colors. Depending on your project’s needs, you can choose any type and preferred color combination.
Silicone wires are a high-quality type of wire applied in RC projects. The wire is super soft and flexible and suitable for compact and restrictive areas. These types of wires applications can be in glass, steel, ship buildings, aviation, and cement industries. These comprise the extreme areas Silicone wires can be used.
Common Silicone Wire Benefits
- Silicone wires are extremely flexible.
- Have outstanding electrical characteristics
- Silicone wires are highly resistant to different types of chemicals and abrasive elements.
- Silicone wire can serve in high temperatures ranging between -50 to 2000C, but special grades can withstand temperatures up to 3000
Additionally, Silicone wires are highly applicable in aerospace. The silicone wires are advantageous over conventional wires like;
- Silicone wires are flame resistant because they ensure reduced flame propagation.
- They are halogen-free wires- Produce little smoke, thus enabling clear visuals during fires.
- Silicone wires do not produce corrosive gases.
Both PVC and silicone wires have different applications. They have varying advantages meaning they are unique. So, regardless of the wire, you choose to purchase, the determining factor is the applications and project’s requirements. To have a vast knowledge about each type of wire, consider contacting us. We will do our best to address your questions and help you with your project.