Before the 21st Century, people were using chemicals and electronic devices; they weren’t familiar with the effects on humans from such products’ wastes. Some items cause diseases like asbestosis, lung cancer, and mesothelioma. This resulted in the European Union establishing the Restriction of Hazardous Substance (ROHS).
The directive was made a law in every member state restricting the use of particular hazardous elements in the manufacture of electrical as well as electronic devices. The idea behind establishing ROHS is to reduce the manufacture and use of hazardous commodities. This will, in turn, help to reduce the environmental and health impacts of such electronics, which people commonly use.
What is ROHS Compliant?
So, what is ROHS compliant? Any ROHS-certified product’s hazardous level and difficulty to dispose of are limited to a maximum level allowed. The ROHS was meant to help reduce by restricting certain dangerous elements initially used in electrical and electronic devices. ROHS works hand in hand with Waste of Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) for the same purpose.
Some of the restricted materials under ROHS include;
- Lead (Pb)
- Cadmium (Cd)
- Mercury (Hg)
- Polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE)
- Hexavalent Chromium (Cr VI)
- Polybrominated biphenyls (PBB)
- Diisobutyl phthalate (DIBP)
- Bis (2-Ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP)
- Benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP)
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP)
ROHS Compliant Wire Harness
Wire harnesses that satisfy the ROHS standards include; vinyl, PVC, and Thermoplastic Polyurethane. These materials are applicable to different environmental conditions. Each material is proven safe to make an efficient ROHS-compliant wire harness.
Vinyl Plastic Tape Wire Harness
Electro Tape is a ROHS-3 certified wire harness electrical tape. Its design ensures that its wire harnesses work best in temperatures up to 800C. These vinyl wire harnesses greatly resist corrosion, abrasion, changing weather conditions, alkalies, moisture, and acids. Their adhesion and elasticity features allow the vinyl plastic tapes to efficiently provide moisture-tight mechanical and electrical protection to wires and cables.
- Vinyl plastic tape wire harnesses are UL 510 and CSA approved.
- They meet ROHS-3 compliance standards.
- The tapes’ elasticity ability enables them to hold the wires tightly, leaving no room for slipping.
- They are compatible with a variety of dielectric cable insulations
- It’s applicable for both outdoor and indoor uses
- The vinyl plastic tapes are resistant to UV light, physical abuse, and chemical attacks.
- It can’t slip, flag, crack, or split if exposed to different environmental conditions.
- Efficient for electrical insulations for cables or wires carrying electric current up to 600V.
- It can work best in temperatures up to 800C
Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) Wire Harness
Thermoplastic Polyurethane is used as a wire harness material. It’s ROHS compliant wire harness as it meets the ROHS standards by lacking any of the elements banned by the directive. This type of wire harness efficiently binds cables and wires due to its elastic and resistance abilities against abrasion, oil, and grease.
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane has robust wear and tear resistance
- It’s highly elastic, enabling it to bind cables tightly.
- This wire harness has high tensile strength.
- The Thermoplastic polyurethane wire harness can work best within temperatures between -400C and 1050
- The wire harness is oil, grease, chemicals, and moisture resistant
- Applicable in providing insulations and sheath to wiring systems requiring significant weather resistance to guarantee sufficient electrical performance.
- Used to provide wire harnesses and insulation to photovoltaic cables
PVC Tapes Wire Harness
PVC wire harness tapes are common in automotive. They bind wires and cables, provide sufficient protection, and offer extra insulation. They are ROHS-certified wire harnesses and UL-certified.
- PVC wire harness comprises electric insulation- These wire harnesses are designed to be pressure-sensitive adhesive tapes.
- The PVC wire harnesses are made of soft PVC films. Sometimes, it can be developed from viscose adhesive layers of natural rubber, synthetic rubber, and acrylic adhesive.
- They have a remarkable ability to work under temperatures of -400c and 1050
- A PVC wire harness is corrosion-resistant, especially when in contact with oil, grease, acid, and other chemicals.
- Its flame-retardant material is thus suitable under harsh conditions.
For any wire harness, it’s a requirement to have only ROHS-certified materials being used. The wire harness manufacturers must meet the set standards and avoid using any restricted elements. This is vital as it helps maintain the health of the end-user. For more details about ROHS compliance, contact us.