Wire To Board Connector Overview
Connectors play a significant role in electrical and electronic gadgets. When talking about an electrical connector, we refer to an electromechanical tool important for creating an electrical connection between parts or different electrical circuits. The connectors join these parts into a larger circuit. A wire-to-board connector involves the connection of a wire to a printed circuit board (PCB). This connection allows circuits to connect.
Wire to board connectors has wires crimped and can be inserted into corresponding housing, completing the interconnect. These connectors are designed to be reliable and flexible. They provide a cost-effective solution to route power between the printed circuit board. These connectors have their applications in the telecommunication, industrial, commercial and automotive industries.
Elements of Wire to Board Connectors
A wire-to-board connector comprises several key sections that make the connector and ensure it works efficiently. The elements include;
- Bell mouth– It’s a flare on the edge of a conductor crimp. It serves as a funnel to allow the wire strands into the connector. It reduces the chances that sharp edges on receptacle terminals nick or cut a wire strand.
- Conductor crimp– It’s among the most crucial elements in a connection. A conductor crimp is developed by the terminal’s mechanical compression around the conductor. This creates an electrical path having high current carrying capacity and low resistance. With a conductor crimp, there is no need to have an additional soldering operation.
- Conductor brush– This is the wire strands that normally go past the crimp from the terminal’s contact section. However, it doesn’t go through the crimped connection mating section.
- Insulation crimps- It’s a terminal area meant to provide support to the wire during the wire insertion into the housing.
However, wire-to-board connectors have different properties that help to differentiate them. These properties include the housing sizes, number of contacts, number of contact rows, stacking height (Connector’s height measured from the circuit board), materials, and length of contacts. Additionally, the connectors can be identified with their pin pitches (distance between centers of one conductor to another adjacent conductor).
Wire to Board Connector Types
Board to Wire Connectors comes in different types. The differences are due to their applications. There are four primaries of wire-to-board connector types.
- A wafer connector provideS better options for the connection of a wire to a PCB.
- The male connector is connected to the PCB, and the female connector is crimped to the wire. This gives no chance to any soldering for the female connector.
- A wafer connector is polarized to avoid incorrect plugging in the mating connector.
- The connector is advantageous as it provides pitches similar to those on the header, making it easily compatible.
- The ejector headers connector provides an ejector mechanism making the connection and disconnection process simple.
- The connector is polarized. Therefore, it avoids any incorrect plugging in the mating connector when connecting.
- Flexible Printed Circuit (FPC) or the Flexible Flat Cable (FFC) Connector comprises a cable with a close resemblance to a ribbon.
- It’s a flexible plastic with a connector at the end made of a metallic material.
- The connector provides high levels of signal reliability.
- Insulation Displacement Contact System (IDC) connector is developed having sharpened blades.
- The blades strip a cable’s insulation when connecting it to the connector.
- IDC connector reduces the installation time.
The Advantages of Wire to Board Connector
A proper connection is essential when joining the conductor onto the connector. It ensures an easy flow of current through the connector to or from the conductor. There should be no fault to avoid current flow interference, which can also damage the connector. Below are some advantages of a wire-to-board connector.
- Wire to board connectors is polarized to ensure easy connection and disconnection. This reduces the thickness likely to be caused by welding paste, thus achieving maximum accuracy.
- The connectors integrate simple designs that are easier and more convenient to use.
- A wire-to-board connector ensures a durable connection by reducing difficulties for repair and maintenance.
Applications of Wire to Board Connector
Wire-to-board connectors are efficient in delivering signals and power to PCBs in gadgets in the lighting, communication, industrial and automotive fields.
Also, commercial and household electronic and electric gadgets use the wire to board connectors.
wire-to-board connectors provide proven and cheap techniques for routing signals as well as power between one PC board to another in the lightning, industrial, and automotive devices. With new generations leading to the production of more advanced wire-to-board connectors, engineers are extending their benefits to much smaller units. When selecting a wire-to-board connector, consider getting one that has been certified and approved by the Underwriter Laboratories for use. For more details about the wire-to-board connectors, consider contacting an expert near you or us. We will be glad to serve you and ensure you have acquired vivid answers to your questions.